Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hit Me With Your Best Shot!

I always wanted to participate in this series (run by Nathaniel of TheFilmExperience) and now's my chance to no longer being a Best Shot virgin. I'll keep it brief, but the basics are to pick the best shot from a film. Today it's Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums

It's pretty simple for me. The opening credits from the film are what immediately sucks you into the story. Story? Well, Anderson has Alec Baldwin narrate and the first few shots of the film show a worn-out book with the name of the film getting checked out from the library (with the old school stamping and such). It's very literary, very Wes Anderson and in short, very me.

After each shot, we can see the image of the book getting closer and closer, until there it is.



Name of the movie (which is also the name of the family), with an invitation placed on a dish between two candle sticks. It reads "Cordially request the pleasure of your company at home Archer Avenue." Curiously, there's a white mouse with black spots. Anderson's pay off of why there is such a fascinating creature is lovely (but that'll come later).

And so the film begins and you hear Baldwin's voice telling us about this family as the instrumental version of "Hey Jude" is heard in the background. For me, I knew that was the moment I was ready for a wonderful movie.

Sidenote: In searching for the right shot, I stumbled on this photo and had to share it, because OMG HOW ADORABLE!

3 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

!!!!!

i've never seen those legos.

and i agree that the opening scene (which i also discuss) and title cards are perfection.

THANKS FOR JOINING US

NATHANIEL R said...

also i should note. I think this is the first time anyone has chosen the title card in a movie so it's a unique entry, too.

NATHANIEL R said...

also i should note. I think this is the first time anyone has chosen the title card in a movie so it's a unique entry, too.