Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol - Season 8: Top 7

Tonight's American Idol is...songs from movies!

Allison Iraheta "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith
This was horrible. I don't know if it was the crappiness of the song, the arrangements, or Allison's voice (she sounded kinda sick), but this was all sorts of wrong. This should have been a lot better. Boo.


Anoop Desai "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams
The song is super-cheese, but it's the guilty kind. That said, Anoop did a nice job with the vocal, although you can tell QT's instruction of growling it out was difficult for him.


Adam Lambert "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
Not a surprising song choice, but it was a terrific vocal and performance. I laughed when Simon compared it to The Rocky Horror Picture Show because my brother said the exact same thing as Adam was performing.


Matt Giraud "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" by Bryan Adams
Of the two Oscar-nodded songs by Bryan Adams, this one is worse because it's way, way, way too cheesey that it goes from bad to good and back to bad. Matt tried to make it interesting, but I think he failed. He's been very inconsistent this season.


Danny Gokey "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
Sweet Jesus, really? His vocal was one of his better ones, but this was the third time, he ignored a mentor's suggestion. QT told him to avoid using his hands and what does he do? Use them. Eh.


Kris Allen "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
I looooove this song (so happy it won the Oscar two years back). I'm surprised that Kris knew it, but it shows that he was thinking about what song would best suit him. It was good, although I do think he was a little sharp at some places (def. not off pitch Randy), and I'm not sure if the arrangement was the best.


Lil Rounds "The Rose" by Bette Midler
This should have been amazing, but it seemed like Lil was trying to have her cake and eat it too. I'm glad Simon called her out again and while I'm glad she *finally* grew a pair to talk back to Simon, I hope this is the end of the road for her.


Rankings:
1. Adam
2. Kris
3. Anoop
4. Danny
5. Lil
6. Matt
7. Allison


Bottom Three Predictions:
Anoop, Kris and Matt. These were the three that Randy and Kara got to judge (and that whole thing was COMPLETE bullshit!), so I think TPTB are trying to tell us something. I think what will happen is (because it's top 7 night), these three will be on side of the stage and then Allison, Lil and Adam will be on the other side and Gokey will have to pick the highest vote getters. Bleh. I'm going to say Anoop gets sent to the couches, which will leave Kris and Matt.

Goodbye to...
Kris Allen. I think TPTB put the bus on full speed and aimed for Kris tonight. Even during the recap, they clearly played the dress rehearsal clip, where Kris didn't sound that well. Plus, even though I think it's pretty kick ass that "Falling Slowly" got to be done on the Idol stage, and even thought it won the Oscar, it is a pretty obscure song that Middle America doesn't recognize. What doesn't make sense is that Kris is the right kind of artist to market right now in a world dominated by Jason Mraz and John Mayer. Gokey does urban music, but he's white. Adam does powerrock shit, but he's gay. The girls won't win and the other guys won't win either. Idiots.

No comments: