Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol: Top 5

Basically, OMFG! What a trainwreck of a night. From the performances, the staging of the show to PAULA's FUCK UP, this was one helluva night. And on effing Neil Diamond week. Who knew?

Jason Castro "Forever in Blue Jeans" and "September Morn"
Jason would have been leaving tonight (one okay performance and then a snoozer), but Paula had to go and reveal the fucking script. Wow. I really hope the media picks up on it and that Idol will get hit big time. I love/hate the show, but everyone and their mother knows that they do things to get the results they want. They know exactly how much to bad mouth and when to play it safe with the comments.


David Cook "I'm Alive" and "All I Really Need is You"
I liked the second one more than the first, but his placement is interesting. Outside of Jordin last year (and that was due to having 2 top 6 weeks because of the double-elimination of Phil and Chris), every single contestant who sings second on top 5 night goes home. Now the producers probably don't realize this, so that's why they put him here. He's very safe and this trend will be stopped again.


Brooke White "I'm a Believer" and "I Am...I Said"
I thought Brooke was actually quite good tonight. Her first showed the nice hippie quality that she (and Castro) possess (in the vein of "Happy Together") while the second was a very classy showcase of her range. Very good work Brooke. Still one of my faves, a vast improvement from the last few weeks, but you're still kinda batshitcrazy.


David Archuleta "Sweet Caroline" and "America"
Oh lo, what a predictable mess. "America" was clearly pandering for votes (hey David, your name isn't KKKristy Lee Cook) and "Sweet Caroline" was not good. Like his worst ever I think. Phew.


Syesha Mercado "Hello Again" and "Thank the Lord for the Night Time"
So, Syesha really wants to win this shit (solid performances, not as great as last week though), but it might be too little too late. I think Simon's comments were either dumb, because the very few support that she does have will start calling/texting in, or genius, because Simon knew that and he wanted to clober either Jason, Brooke or Archie.


Rankings:
1. David Cook #2
2. Brooke White #2
3. Syesha Mercado #2
4. Jason Castro #1
5. Syesha Mercado #1
6. Brooke White #1
7. David Cook #1
8. Jason Castro #2
9. David Archuleta #2
10. David Archuleta #1


Bottom Three Predictions:
Since we are now down to five, I'm guessing they will no longer be doing bottom 3 and just bottom 2 (see last week).


Bottom Two:
Jason Castro vs David Archuleta. Oh yes. They need to save The Chosen One and they need to drum up support since his star is losing it's luster. Yes, they may want Cook to win, but they still want to pimp "The Battle of the Davids" in the finale. This will be a wake-up call to many of the lazy fans. Technically speaking, I think the comments the judges made will save Brooke and Syesha, rather than hurt them. The only thing that gives me hope that Jason is not going home is that the media will REALLY want blood for the brouhaha over Paula's comments and how the show is rigged, if that happens. Text votes seem to have saved Syesha just barely in the past (and I'm sure Jason too), so maybe it is Brooke's time to go (although she has the support of VoteForTheWorst). Argh. I'm so not confident with who to predict here. Maybe Archie will go? The only 100% safe one is Cook...but then again, he did go second on top 5 night. Well, I've been wrong the past few weeks, so I'll say the next to leave is...

Goodbye to...
Jason Castro.

No comments: