Tuesday, April 22, 2008

American Idol: Top 6

I do not like Andrew Lloyd Webber or his brand of theatre. So this was already not going to be a great night for me. Let's see what happens.

Syesha Mercado "One Rock & Roll Too Many" from Starlight Express
Never heard of this song and I had to look up where it was from, but oh lo, did Syesha bring it tonight. Like Simon said, I definitely felt the Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys vibe. This was an extremely satisfying, sexy and memorable performance. Great way to start the show and a great performance.


Jason Castro "Memory" from Cats
In the Webber canon, this is what we classify as "THE Song" (™). It's that ONE song that almost anyone can identify as a song that can make you sound jaw-droppingly amazing or like hot buttered ass. If you've seen Dreamgirls, it's "And I'm Telling You," while "I Will Always Love You" is one in the music industry that everyone knows. Most of these songs are performed by female singers, so to watch Jason tackle it was...odd. He was really committed to the song and it showed. It was his weakest performance in a while and it might sink him.


Brooke White "You Must Love" from Evita
By far, Brooke's worst performance. Ugh, this makes me sad because she has been one of my favorites on the show, but she just showed that she was really out of her element and that the show is taking an emotional toll on her. Stopping and starting again is not going to do her any favors.


David Archuleta "Think of Me" from The Phantom of the Opera
It was fine, but I hear the chosen one missed a few lyrics. Seriously, the puppy needs help memorizing because he is not going to win if he keeps forgetting the lyrics. Not like the little girls will notice, but still. Make it appear like it matters. You would think StageDaddy would make sure he wouldn't mess up like that.


Carly Simthson Hennessy "Jesus Christ Superstar" from Jesus Christ Superstar
She was yelling the whole time. Plus, I just don't care for this song. She was in her zone, I'll give her that, but she didn't connect the song with the audience, in the way Syesha did. The best thing about her performance was the t-shirt (I want one!). P.S. She covered the tattoo again.


David Cook "Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera
By far the best vocal performance of the night. He sold the whole thing, and it was amazing. Syesha may have been in her element in the Broadway world, but David was able to take Broadway into the pop world. Well done sir.


Rankings:
1. David Cook
2. Syesha Mercado (everyone else was not great)
3. Carly Smithson Hennessy
4. David Archuleta
5. Jason Castro
6. Brooke White


Bottom Three Predictions:
The Davids are safe this week (duh). I want to believe that Syesha saved her ass this week, although going first never helps. I'll say that Carly, Jason and Brooke all make the bottom. This time, Carly will be saved because one of the indie/singer-songwriters is going home. *sadface


Bottom Two:
Jason vs Brooke. My two favorites this year. Whoever leaves will make me sad. I know I said last week that you don't leave on your worst night, but I think Brooke's performance wasn't as harshly judged as Jason's, plus I think Castro is getting more text votes than White. Brooke hasn't had an amazing performance since, well, "Let It Be" and that was top 12 night. Jason's last great performance was two weeks ago with "Over the Rainbow." Plus, I'm powervoting for him tonight.


Goodbye to...
Brooke White.

No comments: